- Initially you pay nothing – your first consultation with us is free.
- How you pay is based on the two types of services we provide: a percentage of assets held in your account or a sales charge on each transaction.
- Your advisor will identify the fee structures for our products and services that best align to your preferences and how you want to work.
How we’ll work together
When it comes to investing your money, it’s important we work together to determine your financial strategy. After all, how you choose to spend and invest your assets affects all aspects of your life, not just your portfolio.
You can expect your Financial Advisor to be a trusted, qualified professional who is committed to working in partnership with you and your team of legal and tax professionals
Our Financial Advisors are some of the best trained, well educated, experienced professionals in the business. You can expect your Financial Advisor to be a trusted, qualified professional who is committed to working in partnership with you and your team of legal and tax professionals in the following ways:
- Planning – To build an investment plan to help you stay on track toward your financial goals.
- Investing – To help you tailor an investment strategy consistent with your plan, regularly monitor your portfolio, and give you scheduled updates.
- Advice Beyond Investing – To provide financial advice beyond investments (wealth management, wealth transfer, retirement, philanthropy, and more).
How you’ll pay for our services
Initially you pay nothing – your first consultation with us is free. Once you find an advisor who is the right fit for you, he or she will identify the fee structures for our products and services that best align to your preferences and how you want to work.
That’s why it’s important you know the key differences between our investment advisory and brokerage services and how they affect payment.
How you pay is based on the two types of services we provide: investment advisory (percentage of assets held in your account) and brokerage (sales charge on each transaction).
Investment advisory relationship
The primary service is our investment advice and/or our management of your money. Your costs under an investment advisory account are typically an agreed-upon percentage of the assets held in your account.
The primary service is our trading capabilities for your account. However, we may also provide other incidental services such as custody of your assets, research reports, and recommendations to buy, sell, or hold assets in your account. Your costs under a brokerage account are based on a commission or sales charge on each transaction.
Full service Financial Advisors
As registered securities agents, our Financial Advisors’ compensation may be based on a combination of commissions and fees (cost) generated from a variety of products. These include stocks, bonds, derivatives, investment-company products, and insurance products (if they hold the appropriate state insurance licenses).
Many of them also have additional registrations and/or licensing that permits them to offer investment advisory services. Keep in mind a Financial Advisor’s use of any title or designation does not necessarily imply he or she is providing you with any specific service related to the designation.
Whether you are a brokerage or investment advisory client is dictated solely by the actual services agreed upon and provided.
For more information on this topic, see “How to Get Started Working with Your Advisor.”
For a detailed explanation of the differences between investment advisory and brokerage services, read our guide, “Investment advisory and brokerage services.”
- Decide what types of services would be best suited for your financial situation and investment goals.
- Read the background materials mentioned in the article.
- Make an appointment with a Financial Advisor and request your free initial consultation.
Wells Fargo Advisors can offer brokerage and investment-advisory account services because we are registered as both a broker-dealer and an investment advisor. It’s important to understand that our brokerage accounts and services are governed by different sets of laws and regulations than our investment advisory accounts and services.
Therefore, our obligations and duties to you are different for each type. When you have multiple relationships with us, each account or service will be governed by specific applicable laws. So fees may be different from account to account or service to service.
Advisory programs are not intended for excessively traded or inactive accounts and may not be suitable for all investors.
A collection of the most recent thematic reports from Wells Fargo Investment Institute that cover varying topics of interest and importance to investors.Read Our Insights